Pages

Friday, February 9, 2007

Business problems

Something that I don’t think University can really teach.

It has been something I’ve been observing more and more as my managers start to see me as more than just a programer.

Business A wants Feature B.
Estimate (in $$$) is more than Business A wants to pay.
Business A requests that they really want the Feature.

I know in my life, if I can’t afford a 24″ monitor, I simply won’t have it.
I am aslo very concious of my purchases. If I want a 24″ monitor, I will wait till I have the capital for 2 because I know that there is the possibility of the first one breaking down.

Obviously a business can’t justify this sort of reasoning.

Why would Business continue to persue something that they can’t have without meeting the requirements?

-= Comments
1. Gatesy | February 13th, 2007 at 10:28 pm
"Why would Business continue to pursue something that they can't have without meeting the requirements?"

Because the dudes in management either:

1) underestimate the complexity of the feature they’re asking for

2) miscalculate the supposed benefit of the feature they’re requesting

Personally, I would have thought that if there was such a pressing business case for such a feature, then they should either bite the bullet and pay for it, or ask the developers to leave hooks for future expansion. That way, everybody’s happy: if the developers do a good job there should be repeat business, and the client can phase their system in to suit their cash flow.

But then, I’m only an IT student - what would I know about business?

No comments:

Post a Comment