Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

SVN is stupid and so am I

Just want to have a quick rant about subversion. Most places you see the SVN is the replacement to CVS and does things better but I'm not entirely sure.
I was always suspicious when branching and tagging were copying the files around on the file system. If I wanted to make those sorts of copies, I'd just do it myself.

This bit me yesterday when I wanted to change what branch a particular directory was checked out as. I couldn't just say "This folder, be this branch" I had to say check out this location of SVN to this location on my disk. The first time I tried, I almost checked out the whole alternative branch into the particular folder (not what I wanted).

I know that flexibility = power.
But sometimes I like it when design stops you making mistakes like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment